Make-A-Wish® is pleased to work with the media to help promote our mission to bring hope,strength and joy to children with life threatening medical conditions. Our media kit includes quick facts, detailed backgrounder and contact information.
If you don’t find what you are looking for please contact Elissa Schmidt at email@example.com
Our mission is to grant the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions to enrich the human experience with hope, strength and joy.
Who We Are
- Make-A-Wish is a highly recognized international wish granting organization with affiliates located in 36 countries worldwide.
- Make-A-Wish International was founded in Phoenix Arizona in 1980
- Founded in Canada in 1983, Make-A-Wish Canada consists of seven regional Chapters and a Canada office, which is located in Toronto
- Since 1980, Make-A-Wish has granted over 250,000 wishes worldwide.
- Since 1983, Make-A-Wish Canada has granted over 3,900 wishes to Canadian children
- Today, we grant approximately one wish a day across the country
- The inspiration for Make-A-Wish was a wish granted to Christopher Greicius by members of the Arizona Highway Patrol. Christopher who had leukemia, wished to become a police officer.
- In the fall of 1983, Make-A-Wish granted the first wish in Canada to Debbie, aged 13, suffering from leukemia. Debbie chose to go to Germany with her father and brother to see her grandparents.
- 1983: Make-A-Wish Canada is established with a chapter in British Columbia.
- 1986: Southwestern Ontario Chapter established in London, Ont.
- 1992: Make-A-Wish Foundation® of Canada, the national governing body and Make-A-Wish Foundation® International established
- 1993-2000: Establishment of five new chapters in Canada- Toronto and Central Ontario, Eastern Ontario, Northern Ontario, Northern Alberta and Southern Alberta
- 2001: Establishment of new chapters in Quebec and Atlantic Provinces (serving Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland).
- We ensure the wish is very personal, involves the family and is free from financial worries.
- Make-A-Wish encourages the entire family to be a part of the wish experience, knowing that parents and siblings need magical moments just as much as the wish child.
- We do not receive government funding but rely on donations from individuals, corporations, grants and bequests to support our wish granting activities.
- We do not participate in chain letters, door-to-door solicitations, or telemarketing.
- We do not solicit wishes. Wishes are referred to us through the medical community, friends or relatives.
- We do not embark on "group" wishes. All wishes are individual and based on the child's chosen wish.
2011 Annual Report
2010 Annual Report
2009 Annual Report
Spring 2013 Issue
Fall 2012 Issue
Spring 2012 Issue
Fall 2011 Issue
Spring 2011 Issue
Fall 2010 Issue
Spring 2010 issue
Summer/Fall 2009 issue
Winter/Spring 2009 issue
Fall 2008 issue
Spring 2008 issue
RADIO PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENTS
To grant every child’s wish, we need more people to hear our message. They need to know that we are here waiting to make every eligible child's wish come true. We need to inform parents, guardians and medical professionals that it's easy to refer a child.
Because there are so many children who need the life-affirming gift of a Make-A-Wish experience, we also need to let people know how they can be part of our magical mission.
Thank you in advance for helping us reach everyone who can share the power of a wish®. Click on the links below to download the three different versions of the Make-A-Wish® Radio PSA: